Wednesday, July 19, 2006

 

Outreach -it's time to talk

In preparation for a time when staffing shortages mean we have to make program cuts, or adjustments, we are thinking about adjusting how PS outreach is done this fall. Outreach, especially to preschoolers, is one of our services to keep as long as possible, but I don't think e can continue it in the present format with out going a little crazy.

The discussion, which is right now happening between Liz, Tracey and myself is still in the VERY early stages. What we're tentatively thinking about is identifying YS staff who enjoy doing outreach and moving from an approach that has every branch doing all the preschools in their service area to one that would let this team of YS staff do the outreach throughout the system. Because it would become a system project at that point, supervision of it will fall under the Office of Public Affairs.

One of the isues that Tracey has raised is the question as to whether or not we should continue to do all preschools or stick to non-profits. Another question is how would we adjust work time in the branch when one YS staff member may be very involved in outreach? I know there are more questions than these, what I need to hear from you are ideas for how to approach it, which of you like to do it, what questions do you have or how could it work? And, if you think you have another, and perhaps better, idea I need to know that too. So can you all contribute a bit to this post, and I'll check in from time to time over the next couple of weeks to watch the discussion?

If we can identify the people who enjoy or like to do it, we can always do a traditional meeting and find a way to do it. I hope this isn't too confusing. I'm looking forward to your discussion.

Comments:
Starbooksgirl has good points and nice use of pros and cons. The milage issue can be worked out, paying mileage is still cheaper than hiring additional staff.

The need for a smaller group of people to do outreach instead of someone in every branch is not based on staff workload at the branch, because even if each branch does it's own outreach, staff workload will increase in other ways.

It's based on the need to provide outreach in the community and the most cost efficient way in which to do it. It's looking at outreach from the perspective of the system instead of from the branch's perspective.

At this time, we're only talking about preschool outreach. Outreach to the local schools tends to be very ideosyncratic based on the branch and I can't see tht changing anytime soon.

I do think we will need to look at branch workload and stress, but we can't let the only factor we consider. Keep the comments comming.
 
If we create a core group of people to do outreach, could we look at it from a regional stand point. There could be a handful of people in each region that would take care of those schools within the parameter of the branches that they would be responsible for. This might help with the mileage issues.
 
I love outreach and the bond that it helps us build with our schools and local families. I do have reservations about putting too heavy an emphasis on this type of programming. I am just afraid that it might make coming to the actual library unnecessary then where would we all be? I do agree with the pros and cons that were brought up I would just hate to loose local connections. I love it when a child comes in and says "Hey, I know you. You come to my school."
 
I agree with Katie B's comments about being able to handle the outreach at branch level. It hasn't seemed to be a huge inconvenience here at Amelia.

And while I also appreciate the mileage reimbursement, it doesn't cover the wear and tear of my vehicle.

And Angi is under the impression that once upon a time, we had an outreach group. How did that work?
 
I'm listening, keep talking! You guys are throwing around some very good questions and some good ideas.
 
The discussion is very interesting and you guys all have some excellent points. Let me make a couple of comments about what I've read so far, and you can give some more feedback.

1. I think the concern about wear and tear and gas for cars is very valid, especially in this time stupidly high gas prices which isn't ending any time soon.

2. I never thought about regional approach, but I think that is also an excellent idea. I think it's one we can definitely build on and it addresses the gas and mileage issue pretty well.

3. The reason behind the emphasis on preschool outreach for this type of approach is because I have it in mind to write a grant that would allow us to do more extensive training on early literacy for the staff and translate that training into not only storytimes, but customized preschool presentations that will better fit the needs of the teachers. It's a bit convoluted, and I'm still looking for the right grant source, but there's money for this type of thing and it will enhance our literacy efforts in the county.

4. I think we can add daycares to this list, I have just been under the impression that they were more of a summer thing. School outreach varies so widely though, I don't see that we can be successful at it.

5. Angi is right, once upon a time we had an elaborate system of "regional outreach" involving brochures, letters and the specialization of topics. It wasn't totally successful, and I don't think we should try that way again.

6. Why outreach instead of in house programs? 59% of the adults in Clermont County commute outside of the county to work. When they come home, they have to feed kids, run errands, hit the ball games and live their lives. For many, that doesn't allow time for a visit to the library for a program. Most families have two working parents in them, and thier kids spend more time at preschools, daycares and schools than with the parents. By taking the library out to them, especially to their children, we spread awareness of who and what we are. As well as contributing to the development of the literacy goals and efforts of schools and other agencies.

Those families that will come to the library still come, but we are able to reach children (especially) who might otherwise never know who or what the library is. The days of saying "if we plan it, they will come" are pretty much over. If we want to make a difference in the community, we need to go to them and not wait for them to come to us.

There, enough about my soapbox. comments questions and concerns please! (And Yes Angie R. I realize that I'm typing this at 1:00 in the morning. I'm a night owl on my time off.)
 
On the subject of daycares vs preschools and/or profit vs non- profit, I have never seen a need to distinguish between them when it come to outreach. Outreach is outreach. A for profit daycare is not less worthy than a non-profit preschool. I have always kept them together in my mind and done outreach at any locale that invited me.

Liz
 
Hi everyone, at Batavia outreach isn't to time consuming. I have one daycare (Camp Allen) that I visit once a month and then I have my class visits from the school. I like doing outreach, and I love when a kid from the daycare comes into the branch and says hi to me. So I would miss not going to visit Camp Allen.
 
I have this re-occuring fantasy of having a special van outfitted with books, and a driver who can do programs at schools and preschools and senior centers as they make their rounds....
oh wait, that is called a bookmobile isn't it?

Someday when we can afford the on-going costs....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?