Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

Social Networking, some intersting articles

In the ALA weekly e-newsletter I get, they had a couple of links that I thought might be worth you checking them out. (If I can figure out how to attach them to this) One is on the YALSA stance on social networks and the other is on the move to include them in the CIPA legislation and possibly link them to e-rate as a way to governmentally regulate access to them. We have so much use of them, that this is a debate we need to pay attention to. (especially since we receive e-rate and have to stay CIPA compliant to apply for LSTA money.)
http://www.ala.org/ala/alonline/currentnews/newsarchive/2006abc/july2006a/dopahearings.htm
http://www.leonline.com/yalsa/dopa_teens_social_networking.pdf

Now if I did this right you should be able to check it out. If not, I'll ask Laura to fix it.

Comments:
Thank you Leslie, these were both very interesting and informative articles. I love the idea of MySpace and I would hate to have funding used as a legal avenue to control how these types of sites are used. I do have to agree that something has to be done to protect children and too many times it is not the parent that monitors and educates their children.
My son and his band use MySpace as a way to advertise their band to other teens who might want them to play at parties, graduations etc.I think this is great, but I do still worry about their information and pictures being readily accessible to anyone.
 
My son's band uses it too. Not as advertising, but as a way to be heard. I agree with you that it's an important resource, but still a risky one. I dread the idea of having to stop making it available, because I see the value and the future of it.

I agree with you that the children need protection, and that too many times the parents aren't involved or informed enough. I still haven't found a solution to the problem, but I'm like you, I do think about it a lot.
By the way, send me your son's band name via email so I can check them out and pass it on to Jon. I'll send his the same way.
 
I agree with Kim in that it would be a shame to have limitations on MySpace put into place. MySpace presents a unique opportunity for the library to be able to reach teens where they frequent the most because of the familiarity with the technology. Of course I approve of social networking since it gives teens an opportunity to improve reading and writing skills. We also have the opportunity to set up Intergenerational programming to educate users and their parents about “Wired Safety”.
 
I read the articles and was mortified. It frightens me when congress or any other public institution wishes somehow to control how people communicate. I feel very strongly about this. Each time measures are taken to stop wrong doers they catch up and overcome the limitations. Every technological advance made is quickly mastered and manipulated by children. They remain one step ahead and that is a good thing for the human race.

Anyone who knows children, and since we have all been children, realizes there is a sense of invincibility that comes with that youth. I don't know how many times I've gone with YA's so they could show me thier profile from whatever site they are posting on and see they have put thier entire address and cell phone number on the World Wide Web. They know the dangers, they hear the stories, they simply suffer from "It won't happen to me" syndrome. I beleive parents and theses young adults (14 and up) must take responsibility. Parents have to educate and kids must be wary of strangers on the net just as if they were on the street. This is problem that will never fully go away. It has been around since the ancient of times maybe not in the same guise but the same problems.
Lengthy post I know maybe too deep as well and no real solution. For a lighter note refer to my recently posted thread, Why???
K
 
I think you're right Kevin. But I can tell you from depressingly long years working in public libraries and with kids, that many parents just don't step up to the plate.
So are there alternatives? Things a library can do that don't wander into "parental control" areas? I know what I do with my kid, but he is of course my kid.

I really hate the idea of regulating the social networking sites. For one thing, it won't work, the kids will move on, and for another thing, I read too much science fiction to be comfortable with it. Ideas, suggestions? anyone?
 
I don't have a suggestion for the problems of MySpace but I would like to say that a customer called last night to reserve a computer and asked if we allowed access to MySpace because she tried in Campbell County and they don't. I, of course, said to come on over, we do allow allow it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?